Beer Camp is this weekend (Sept 5, 6 &7). Are you going?
What do you think of the new website?
Updated 8/25 - Beer Camp
Beer Camp is September 5th, 6th and 7th
Beer Camp is September 5th, 6th, and 7th. Each site holds 10 guests and you have the choice of camping on the rim side or the forest side of the road. Howard, Bernie and I will be heading up on Wednesday the 3rd to capture campsites as well as crawfish. Saturday night is a potluck meal starting around 5pm. There is fishing, horseshoes, tater guns and of course, drinking! So bring your camp gear, food, and lots of beer!
FR 9350 Campground - Apache Sitgreaves National Forest
Geo Coordinates: 34.337129,-110.971699
More information: http://www.nextcampsite.com/place/apache-sitgreaves-national-forest-fr-9350-campground/
More information: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/asnf/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=44651&actid=29
Directions: From Payson, take AZ 260 northeast from Payson toward Heber. Turn left (west) onto Forest Road 300 (Rim Road) and follow for 5 miles. Turn left towards the Carr Lake trail head. Pass the trail head parking lot and follow the loop around to the campsites.
1. From Payson, turn right onto AZ-260 E 29.2 mi
2. Turn left onto Forest Service Rd 300/Rim Rd 5.4 mi
3. Turn left on FR9350
Howard and Bill can usually be found 1.1 miles from the trail head. You will see a BA sign on the billboard with BA sites.
Update from meeting 7/12/2014
Don't forget September 20th is weekend at Bernie's. Come and make some home-brew by the pool and bring a sleeping bag if you want to spend the night. The fun start at 7:00 AM and lasts all day and through the night as needed. Please RSVP to Bill or Bernie if you are coming. Brew spaces are limited.
ASH Oktoberfest competition entry deadline is September 19th. Judging is 9/27 and 9/28. If you can judge or steward let Bill or Sonia know. October 19th meeting will be at Cedric's. This is a Sunday and starts at 2:00pm. His address is 1948 W. Krystal Way Phoenix, AZ 85027. October 11th is the AZ Mead cup competition. It is at Grand Ave Brewery and it will be ran by Sonia and Jodi. If you can judge or help let Sonia know or Bill. Their email address is on the BA web site. October 19th is also the ASH Oktoberfest at Kiwanis parkway. Also need BA members who plan to attend to represent us and pour beer and donate beer at the festival. Next learn how to brew day is November 1st and will be held at Grand Avenue Brewery. November 8th Jason Meyers is having a German feast party . He will be grilling brats on the grill and have lots of German food to eat. So if you can bring a German dish and some beer and join in on the fun. Jason's address is 12552 W Monterosa Dr. Litchfield Park ,AZ Party starts around 4 pm. Thanksgiving meeting will be held at Debbie and Howards on Nov. 16, 2014. This is an updated date for Thanksgiving party. The next brew out is the holiday brew out on December 6th at Chuck's "What ale's ya" 6363 W Bell RD, Glendale AZ. Remember at " What ale's ya " you get 25% off what you buy if you brew with it that day. So come and have fun brewing and save some money too. December 13th is the Christmas party at Joe Bob's starts at 5pm. New Years day is the big brew out at the Naff compound, So mark this on your calendar too.
Update from meeting 5/17/2014
Everyone had a great time swimming and eating at the meeting last Sunday at Randy and Carol Pace's house. Thank you Randy and Carol for having the meeting again at your house. We had some perspective members attend the meeting and we all enjoyed having them there. Big Brew was last week and it was a big success. John Cole owner of Grand Ave Brewery celebrated his 50th birthday that day. He had a great time and offered to host out Big Brew next year. We had seven brewers from our club and three from central Phoenix club. In total they made 56 gallons of great beer. Great job everyone maybe we can top that next year. But it will be hard to beat. Stuart Siegel offered to host the meeting next month on June 14th. His address is 20210 N 76th Ave, Scottsdale AZ. Thanks Stuart for stepping in to help out. Beer camp September 5th and 6th and 7th on the Mogollon rim. This is the weekend after Labor Day. And remember Saturday is pot luck so bring a dish to share. September 20th is weekend at Bernie's. The fun brewing will start at 08:00 am and can last all night. Just bring your sleeping bag and camp out. Next year Bernie is coordinator for the Great AZ Home Brew Competition. He asked for volunteers for a committee to help resolve a lot of issues for next year's home brew competition. Volunteers are Jerry Wheeler, Stuart Siegel, Joe Burke, Heather Hilliker and Jason Myers. Some Committee topics they will discuss are 1. Date for competition 2. Pay pal charges 3. Poster for event needed 4. Reward for best of show. Suggested have option to make their brew at a local brewery. Two topics not covered at yesterday’s meeting: 2015 American Homebrewer's Conference. The word is that a couple AHA board members let it slip that the conference will be held in San Diego sometime in June 2015. The last time it was in San Diego, a group of us went and had a great time. If there are any of you wanting to go, a committee should be created so that everyone can be kept updated with current information, a theme can be created for the "Homebrewer’s Night", homebrew can be donated, as well as hotel and transportation can be scheduled. If anyone has pictures from the last conference and links to video, please chime in so other folks can know what to expect. We have not scheduled a Happy Hour yet. Bill will be out of town for the Memorial weekend but if anyone wants to hit a place on the west side (Peoria Artisan, Caballero, Ground Control) before Thursday, let him know.
The online registration system for the
Great Arizona Homebrew Competition 2014 is now closed!
The competition was held April 5th & 6th 2014 at Grand Avenue Brewing, 1205 W. Pierce St. Phoenix, AZ 85007
We have 170 members online. And we welcomed new members at the meeting. We want to encourage the new members to learn to brew by having them be a brew buddy to help learn more. Or if they want us to come over and help them at their home we will help. Just let us know if you want any help.
Beer week is next week. We have a booth at the Strong beer festival. The club is selling t-shirts. Dean will also have a booth. Show up and have a great time at the festival.
Ground Control Tap House. Bill will be doing a demonstration of how to brew. It starts at 09:00 am. There will be happy hour pricing for food and beer. Come and enjoy the fun. the address is 4860 N Litchfield Rd, Litchfield Park.
AZ brewery tour of three new breweries on the east side. The three breweries are Huss, Wilderness and fate breweries. Meet at Freakin brewery at 10:00 am to get in the bus. Price is approximately $100.00 per person but that includes the beer and your lunch. Only thing not included is the tip for the bus driver. So it's a great deal come and enjoy all the fun.
Next meeting at Joe and Moe Burke's house. Joe says bring your swim suit because the pool has solar heat and should be warm enough to swim. There will be burgers and hotdogs to BBQ. And of course please bring a side dish, homebrew to share and a commercial beer to raffle.
Need volunteers to host Sunday 4/13 meeting and second Saturday of the month meetings for May, June July and August. September meeting will be on the 13th which is a Saturday instead of Sunday the 14th.
4/5/14 and 4/6/14
Home Brew Competition will be held April 5 & 6 at Grand Avenue Brewing located at 1205 W. Pierce St, Phoenix AZ 85007. Let Bill know if you can be a steward or a judge. We will need lots of help and it is so much fun, so come help do anything you can. Also the weekend before we will need help in labeling the bottles. So please volunteer to help out, it is appreciated so much.
The online registration system for the Great Arizona Homebrew Competition 2014 is now ClOSED!
To see this year's poster and read more about the competition Click Here
Let us know how many gallons you brewed to see who will win the Norm award. Please email your total gallons brewed to email@example.com.
Looking for a member to coordinate setting up happy hour. Please email Bill if you are interested in participating in helping set this up. firstname.lastname@example.org
Bru Gear stainless steel brewing kettles & fermenters
Phil Spivey a local from Scottsdale AZ has a Kickstarter project were you can get a great deal on some stainless steel brewing kettles and fermenters. For those of you who don't know what Kickstarter is it's a web site where people who are starting a business raise money to help fund the initial start-up (i.e. called Crowdsourcing). You can make a Pledge at different dollar amounts. If enough people pledge and the funding goal is met then the project is approved and the steel kettles and fermenters will be made. If the funding goal isn't met no money changes hands and the project is dead. FYI the project closes on Sunday Feb 16th at 11:39 am. Lots of times you can get in on the ground floor and get a killer deal. I made a pledge for $245. If the project is successful I'll get a brand new 15 gallon stainless steel mash tun with a false bottom. Oh I'm dreaming of using the mash tun to do a Barley Wine or Russian Imperial Stout! Yum. I can't make these with my current 5 gallon system. Here's a link to find out more if you are interested. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2055692701/bru-gear-stainless-steel-brewing-kettles-and-ferme?ref=search Your Web Master - Stu Siegel
National Homebrew Competition - New Registration Process
Open January 27 - February 2
A number of changes have been made to the registration process for the 2014 National Homebrew Competition (NHC), with the goal of maximizing the number of American Homebrewers Association (AHA) members that can participate in the competition while reducing the stress of the first come, first served registration process of previous years.
Registration for this year's NHC will be quite different than previous years. To avoid the time-sensitive nature of the first come, first served model of past years, the 2014 competition will have an open registration period from Monday, January 27 through Sunday, February 2, during which members of the American Homebrewers Association can register for the competition. The time at which registration is submitted will have no influence on registrants, so there is no need to sign up as soon as registration opens, nor any value to waiting until the last minute. Read the complete article.
Hello BA. We held our first meeting of 2014 on 1/12. Here's what was discussed:
- Its officially (finally!!) - Great Arizona Homebrew Competition and Arizona Mead Cup have been trade marked and the naming rights belong to Brewmeisters Anonymous!
- Next meeting is Sunday, Feb. 9th at Nathan Goulette's home in Avondale. See calendar/website for full details.
- The club voted to not host a picnic this year. Instead the club will provide burgers/brats at the March meeting at Joe & Moe Burke's home.
- BA will renew the annual Arizona Brewers Guild membership dues for an Associate Member.
- The AZ Strong Beer Festival is Saturday, February 15th at Steel Indian School Park again. BA will participate and set up a booth for a beer brewing demo, sell club t-shirts and educate on homebrewing. This is a great opportunity to recruit new beer club members. BA will bring the big cactus and dispense root beer to the designated drivers again! This beer festival kicks off the official Arizona Beer Week. Check out http://arizonabeerweek.com/ for up to minute details on events happening throughout Arizona that week.
- The next BA Raffle is here! As a fundraiser for the club we will raffle off a small wine cooler (dual temp). Tickets are $5 each. There will be a limit of 200 raffle tickets sold. The drawing will be held once the tickets have been sold out. Buy your ticket at the next meeting or Strong Ale Festival! Come back in the next week for pictures and details.
- Speaking of the BA Website - Stuart Siegel is taking over the website and the club boted to purchase a template to design a new web presence. This new template will also be mobile friendly! This will take some time to create and we are all looking foward to it. Stuart will give us progress updates at the next meeting.
- Norm Award 2013 - another year is over and it time to tally up! Please email your total gallons brewed to email@example.com. Stuart will keep the official tally so we can award the winner the infamous "Norm Award" at the next meeting.
- As you brew in 2014 forward your gallons brewed to firstname.lastname@example.org so he can keep the amount posted on the website up to date. In the future, you'll be able to log-in and update your own records.
- PUB CRAWL! Howard Balch is working out the details for the next BA Pub Crawl. As of this moment, the club voted on Sat. March 8th for the event. Arizona Brewery Tours will provide the safe transportation to 4 or 5 brewery's on the East side of town. The package deal will include transportation, food and beer. More details will be sent out by Howard as soon as they are available.
- Great Arizona Homebrew Competition is coming up fast! The event will be held on April 5th & 6th 2014 in downtown Phoenix. We need ALL of our members participate this year. We need judges, stewards and entries! Each member has the capacity to do at least one of the items listed above (but hopefully 2). We need your time and your entries! Several members attending today's meeting (Bernie and Stu) said they are entering beers into the competition. This is our homebrew clubs annual event and we can't do it without your support! Let's make this the biggest one ever and get your entries into OUR competition. Bill works hard every year to get sponsors and prizes.